So, Sunday, we're sitting in church. We sit on the front row on the side, by the organ. After I play the Sacrament hymn, I go down and sit with my family. Last Sunday was pretty hot (by Monterey standards, anyway), so they had all the doors open, trying to catch the non-existant breeze. There are a set of doors in the front of the chapel, one at the end of my row and one on the other side, by the Sacrament table.
So, as we're kind of zoning during one of the talks (early church + lack of sleep = not terribly alert) and I notice a little critter coming in the door by the Sacrament table. I look and it looks like someone's pet white rat...white with a pink nose and pink eyes. It starts scampering towards us, up against the podium. The only people who can see it are the front row people and maybe the second row people. As it gets closer, I realize that it's not a rat, it's a baby POSSUM. Just before it gets to our row, it turns and heads up the stairs to the choir seats.
By this time, the speaker and some of the bishopric can tell something is going on, but they aren't sure what. A minute after it scampers up the stairs, Brother Lente gets up, follows it up the stairs, across the back behind the podium and traps it in the corner behind the priests. Everyone is watching him, thinking he's chasing his two year old again, but the two year old is behind him. Finally, he comes down the other stairs, holding this critter. By then, half the congregation is laughing, the other half have no idea what's going on, the speaker is kind of flustered. She looks over at him and says, "Oh MY! That explains it, I was wondering if something was wrong with me!"
Brother Lente finally deposited the critter outside, but not until he held it up and showed the congregation like he was showing off his newborn baby. It was a great moment in the Prunedale ward. ;0)
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Ewe gross.
hahahahaha I love Prunetucky too!
That sounds so fun, I just might start my own catch and release program.
LOL I love it!!! I miss that ward. :(
We miss you, too, Rachel!
oh that's hysterical!!! awesome story...funny all the way around! :D
No christmas trip this year. We'll be blessing Duckie right about then. But You are more than welcome to come up this way. We'd find space for you guys to crash if you wanted. Probably won't be up to PHX until like Jan. OH! I'll be there in Sept for Keridawn's thing (if it's still a thing).
Great story, too bad you weren't able to catch the whole episode on camera!
That is so funny! Exactly the kind of excitement I long for when trying to keep my eyes open at sacrament meeting. I probably would have screamed tho. That's not good.
That is just classic! LOVE it!
Kaka. Yucky. Ewey. It was WHITE? Why does that gross me out more than if it was brown or black? I guess I don't know my possum like I should.
::gagging::
Smilin'! Not quite a Mississippi squirel, but still, lots of fun.
That was so awesome!!! Jeff saw it all the way back from our row and when I pointed out Bro. Lente and commented that he must be chasing a kid Jeff leans over and says "NO. It's a POSSUM!" Classic!
I absolutely LOVE this story! I can just picture the entire thing:) It must have been hilarious...what a great story!
When did that happen? I totally missed it! I guess it was when we were out of town! Dang! I bet it was funny!
Post a Comment