Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bailey Family Thing, Part 2



OK, I tried to post a video that Sam and Meg took from the top of the volcano, but it's too big. Too bad we don't have a cheap camera that takes low res videos, eh? When he gets the software loaded, he thinks he can reduce it. If/when that happens, I'll post it, it's pretty cool.

So, Saturday night, we stayed in Arco, Idaho. It's famous (sort of, not like we'd ever heard of it) for being the first atomic powered town in the world in 1955, if you can believe that. It's tiny, but kind of cute. There is a mountain there, where every graduating class of the high school has painted their year since 1920. There is also a park with a submarine sail planted in it. Weird thing to find a LONG way from the coast. I guess they did some submarine training in Idaho during WWII. I would guess no one would look for them there, that's for sure.



5 comments:

Hazel said...

I've driven through Arco! I had no idea it was so cool. Then again, I hadn't ever heard of Albion, and that was coll too. I should get out more.

Hot Pants said...

Dwight made us go through Arco once when we were driving down from Calgary. It is an Idaho must. I wasn't in the mood to read all the signs about it though. Looks like I really missed out.

ShelBailey said...

Katie, I think "cool" might be a bit of an overstatement. But, it was kind of interesting.

E said...

I think I've driven past that mountain side with all the years on it a hundred times, but I no nothing of this Arco you speak of. I think you gize are the king and queen of roadside attractions. Please tell me you have a picture of the world's biggest thermometer.

ShelBailey said...

Jen, no pics, but I have seen it. I think it's in Barstow, isn't it?