Sunday, January 27, 2008

Visiting the Tongans

Today we had my favorite of all the ward conferences we attend in our Stake, the Tongan Branch. It's always a treat, they are all such lovely, warm people.

But, the most amazing thing is the music. They've never had an accompanist or organist. They sing all the hymns a capella, in nearly perfect four part harmony. I found out when we tried to sing along though, that they hear their own harmony, they don't necessarily sing what's in the hymnbook. They always sound amazing, and it's fun to just sit and listen.

Once, when I was going to be out of town, I told my Fijian friend Selai that I needed to find someone to play for Sacrament meeting. She said, "Ah, they should just do as the Tongans and sing without an organ.".

I told her that while that works great for the Polynesians who have music in their souls, but you get a bunch of white people with no musical training and no organ and it definitely does NOT sound like the Tongans.

It was a nice day, but it was sad to come home and find that our beloved prophet had passed away. I'm sure he and his sweet wife are excited to be together again, but we'll miss him greatly. Meggie cried for hours before she went to bed.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I think it's so cool that you have a Tongan branch! I would love to sit in on one of their meetings. They are always such happy fun people. Glad you had a good day.