This week I'm playing piano for Hidden Valley Institute of the Arts in Carmel Valley. They have an Elderhostel choral workshop every year. (Basically older retired people who like to sing come from all over the country...average age probably around 70). This is my third year playing for them. It's a lot of fun, but really messes with my schedule for the week. They practice 3 hours every morning and 2 hours every evening, and it's about 35 miles away, in Carmel Valley Village. I have to come home in between to pick up Meg from school and practice like mad. I usually get the music on Monday morning the same time as the singers. (Every year, the conductor calls and tell me he is going to bring it by about a week before, but he never does). This year, two of the pieces that he picked I did in High School. Cool, I've played them before, I know they're hard, but it's like riding a bike, yeah? Not! It's depressing how hard they are now. Hate to think I hit my piano playing prime when I was 18. Most of the music he picked I like, some is danged near impossible to play, but cool, I'll just figure a way to fake it. One song though, really lovely lyrical slow ballad, is about "I'm going out to clean the pasture spring. I shan't be long". I'm not at all sure how they sing it with a straight face.
In other news...today is our 13th anniversary. We're planning to go away for the weekend, but I'm not sure we'll get to do much today. I'm lucky to be married to the sweetest guy on the planet. He works hard for us, is a wonderful Dad and has nearly infinite patience with his girls (Ryan doesn't require infinite patience most of the time...at least not any more, lol). It took us 16 years after we met to finally get together, but it was worth waiting for. I love you, Sammy!
I was going to post a wedding pic, but it's apparently not on this computer and I've really got to get Meg up for school and PRACTICE.
Edit (About 20 mins later)
So, when I started this post, it was dark. I look up and out my great room windows and see this:

Morning fog is cool. I love living here.
7 comments:
happy happy happy happy happy happy anniversary!
Happy Anniversary to 2 of my favorite people!
I remember when Sam was first telling us all about you. It was at Erin's wedding. I was so happy for him. Happy anniversary!
So, will you be playing piano for Sam on your anniversary?
I'm guessing that by the time I play for five hours there, and practice a couple here...I'll be piano'd out.
I'm sure we can find SOMETHING to do, though. :0)
Happy Anniversary! I also remember Sam sitting down with us and telling us all about you. We need to hear your version of events, so we can piece it all together. ::romantic sigh:: And post wedding pics.
That fog picture is so cool. It reminds me of Forks and Edward.
That's ok.. I hit my piano peak when I was 13. At least you made it past me!! Sounds fun (although slightly hectic!)! BTW.. Happy Anniversary!! :-)
Post a Comment