Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ok, I'm over it. Mostly. :0)

So, I'm in the dentist office this morning, waiting for yet another crown ($$$!!!), reading my new Ensign. There's an article called "The Lord Can Ease Our Burdens." I didn't look for it, it was just the next article in the magazine while I waited and waited and waited. Anyway, here's a clip:

We need to trust the Lord. The Lord’s view is much broader than ours, and He has promised that He will not try us beyond our ability to withstand. Elder Scott said, “To exercise faith is to trust that the Lord knows what He is doing with you and that He can accomplish it for your eternal good even though you cannot understand how He can possibly do it.”

We should not murmur. . . How easy it is for us to murmur when things do not go our way! Elder Neal A. Maxwell (1926–2004) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles taught: “Murmuring can … be noisy enough that it drowns out the various spiritual signals to us, signals which tell us in some cases to quit soaking ourselves indulgently in the hot tubs of self-pity! Murmuring over the weight of our crosses not only takes energy otherwise needed to carry them but might cause another to put down his cross altogether.” Elder Maxwell offered this alternative to murmuring: “Being of good cheer is what is needed, and being of good [cheer] is equally contagious. We have clear obligations to so strengthen each other by doing things ‘with cheerful hearts and countenances’"


So, I'll shut up now.

Besides, Sam took me to the beach after dinner to watch the seals and otters and pelicans, etc. We're very blessed to live here at all, and sometimes I just have to be reminded.

Thanks for all the support while I was being a whiner, though. :0)

8 comments:

Rachel and Joshua said...

Thanks for sharing that! Reminds me of being stuck overseas just over a month ago. Our Heavenly Father is amazing and CAN make the impossible happen. I've been blessed to see it with my own eyes. :)

Memzy said...

Everybody needs to whine once in awhile. Or vent as I call it. Cool quote tho. I'll have to share that one with people around here who tend to be grouchy cuz of the market "crash" yesterday. Not naming names tho.

ShelBailey said...

Yea, I'm guessing there's a couple of grouchy people over at Dad's house, too.

Markie23 said...

Whine some more, and you can be a leading lady in the next Stephanie Meyer book.

ManicMandee said...

Well, I read the previous post first and was ready to do all kinds of sympathizing with you. But you sure got over that one quick! Amazing. I would still be murmuring.

E said...

Good for you! But don't feel bad complaining to us. Sometimes it helps to get it out so you can move on. (The guilt that comes from complaining is half of what helps you move on, ya know.)

Memzy said...

Well said AJ, well said.

Hazel said...

Thank you for this Sam. I am glad it helped you , and it helped me, and I am going to sum it up for my sister so she is helped too.