Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Our Thanksgiving....



We decided that we wanted to do something different for Thanksgiving this year. None of us are crazy about turkey and it would take the three of us about a month to eat even a small one. So, we talked about just fixing our favorite foods, but that sounded like a recipe to a major tummy ache and about 10 extra pounds. We thought a picnic would be nice, as it's been unseasonably dry and sunny here. Sam joked about hobo dinners and we ran with it. We fixed four big hobo dinners, one with Italian meatballs, potatoes and veggies, one with his giant bacon bleu-cheese burger and veggies, one with curried chicken and rice, and one with jambalaya-style sausage and veggies over rice. We drove up to Pigeon point, cooked our hobo dinners, went tidepooling and had chocolate Lacey's (ccokies from costco that I won't buy because we eat the entire package in a day) for dessert. It was awesome and unless someone compels me to make a turkey again, I probably won't.



12 comments:

Emily said...

Gorgeous!! What a perfect way to spend Thanksgiving.

Markie23 said...

I never heard of a hobo eating Italian meatballs, giant bacon bleu-cheese burgers, curried chicken, and jambalaya.
I wanna be a hobo at your place.

ManicMandee said...

That is so wonderful! Great idea.

Vegas Family said...

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving day.

Mary said...

Next Thanksgiving is our turn to have Amy and Sara again, but the one after that we will be on our own and I think we'll figure out a new tradition, too. Thanks for the idea.

ShelBailey said...

You shoulda come up, Markie. We had running water. ;0)

Memzy said...

Last year for Thanksgiving we ate at IHOP. One of the best ones I've ever had. So, tooshay. ::wink::

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had fun.

Anna B said...

I think I know how I am going to spend Thanksgiving next year. Thanks.

Cook Family said...

Seriously, we're coming to your place next year.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

Those real hobos that Jenny fed broth to at the soup kitchen are feeling majorly gyped right about now.

That looks like an incredible Thanksgiving holiday! Can you get mashed potatoes into a hobo dinner? Cuz I gotsta have me some taters on Thanksgiving.

E said...

I am wowed by these pictures, as always. Sounds like an improvement on Thanksgiving to me. I never eat turkey.