Thursday, November 8, 2012

November 8 ...Indoor Plumbing

This is serious.  Really.  I hate outhouses and "doing my business" in the outdoors.  I would have been a cranky, terrible pioneer woman.  I know my great grandmother didn't have indoor plumbing at her ranch in Strawberry, Arizona until my mom was practically a grown up.  Mom says she hated going up there, because going potty in the middle of the night was terrifying.  She said she could see a few bugs/spiders in the outhouse, but what she couldn't see scared her more.  Not only do I have flush toilets, I have FOUR of them.  Although the fourth one I had to be talked into, it's in the garage and whether it's clean or not is Sam's problem.  It's handy when we come home from the movies, having sucked down whatever giant soda we bought, being able to scatter and all three of us have a bathroom.

And, of course, there is the pumping and/or hauling of water for other stuff;  cooking, cleaning, laundry, bathing...I tell you, I would be one seriously cranky woman (no comments, please).  Even though I don't have a fancy frontload washer to do my laundry, I'm not beating it in a tub of water that I carried from the creek or something.   I even have a spigot over my stove so I don't have to strain anything filling a pot with water and carrying it from the sink to the stove.  I'm spoiled.

So my undying gratitude to whoever the Lord inspired to invent flush toilets and indoor spigots.


This toilet is a model we found when researching toilets for our house. You can read details about it here. Yes, we researched.  As much as we love indoor plumbing, Sam HATES HATES dealing with plumbing issues.  So we did serious shopping when picking out toilets.  We ordered our Totos from New Jersey.  And it paid off, in almost ten years, only TWICE have we had clogged toilets.  For which Sam is grateful.  And me too.

No comments: