My sister, Julie, has four delightful kids: three giant boys, and a daughter the same age as my Meg. This is a story about two of her boys, one of them going through some tough times due to some bad choices. As these events were unfolding, I was amazed at her faith that eventually all would be well. That didn't mean we didn't cry a lot. We're Elsberrys after all, we cry...."emotional incontinence" my friend calls it. There's a scripture in Nephi that says “I… will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith…” Something for which I am very grateful.
I was going to try and tell it, but she was invited to tell this story at church, and sent me a copy of it. So this is in her words.
This story seems to be about missionary work, but to me, it is a story of the tender mercies of a loving Savior that spanned two continents and brought the miracles of healing to two families.
In the winter of 2011, two young men left their families to serve missions. Both were going to a foreign country where they would learn a new language and be thousands of miles from their homes. Both were willing and excited to serve, both left families and siblings that were struggling with various trials, but knew the Lord would bless their families for their willingness to serve in the mission field. They even had the same sandy brown hair, pale eyes, and an infectious smile with a dimple on one side. Neither of them could have had even an inkling of what the Lord had in store. It took a tremendous amount of preparation work, and several different people following spiritual promptings, to bring about the miracles that were about to follow.
Our son, Elder Trevor Larson reported to the Argentina Cordoba mission in July of 2011. He had left behind his family, including a younger brother, Jacob, who he knew he wouldn’t see for almost 4 years, due to their missions overlapping. Jacob was struggling under heavy trials, and Trevor prayed for him daily. While in the Mission Training Center, a Bishop felt prompted to tell Trevor that his brother would be alright. About that same time, I received a very distinct impression that our Savior, Jesus Christ, was stepping in to take the wheel.
Elder Juan Manuel Gomez left his home in Argentina to serve here in the Arizona, Mesa mission. He had an older sister back home, who lived in Cordoba, several hours away from her family. She was also suffering with heavy trials, including the loss of a child, and had the added burden of not having the Gospel in her life for strength and comfort. He sent his emails to his family and to his sister, hoping that something he said could help mend her broken heart. One day, after much prayer, Elder Gomez was prompted to write a handwritten letter to his sister. While writing it, he was inspired to write a paragraph in English. He thought it was a strange prompting, as she knew no English, but he followed the prompting, adding that she should find a Mormon missionary to translate it for her. In his heart, he hoped she would find a companionship where one Elder was American, to translate, and the other was a native, so she would trust their message.
In Cordoba, Elder Larson had been serving in the same area for several transfers. The mission president felt inspired to transfer him, but rather than moving him out of the ward where he had been serving, he only transferred him to the other bed in the same apartment. This meant he would be serving in the same area, but with a new companion-- a native of Buenos Aires. Within just two days of that change, Elder Gomez’ sister received her brother’s letter. She put it in her purse, thinking that as she worked in town she might see some Elders. On the way to work she spotted two missionaries. She mustered her courage to approach them and explained that she had a letter she needed them to translate. One of the Elders opened the letter and read it silently to himself. What he read made him smile:
The Elders made an appointment to come visit Natalia to discuss what her brother had written. Trevor and his companion taught her. As she listened to their message the Spirit was so strong it could not be denied. Natalia recognized something in Elder Larson that reminded her of her brother, so far away in America. When Trevor wrote home that week, he told us of Natalia and gave me the mandate to “Find Elder Gomez!” I wondered, “How am I supposed to do that?” The very next day, we received a phone call. The man on the other end said, “Sister Larson, you don’t know me, but I have an Elder Gomez at my house for dinner who would like to meet you”. He was only a mile away from our home. I jumped in the car and sped over. As soon as I met him, I felt I was talking with my son Trevor. We took a quick picture, he thanked me for raising my son, and left with his companion for an appointment. I knew then, that Elder Gomez was going to be the answer to Trevor’s prayers, just as Trevor had been the answer to his. I felt he needed to come and meet Jacob and take him on some missionary splits. This was in November of last year. I began praying that he would be transferred to our Stake.
In Cordoba, Elder Larson had been serving in the same area for several transfers. The mission president felt inspired to transfer him, but rather than moving him out of the ward where he had been serving, he only transferred him to the other bed in the same apartment. This meant he would be serving in the same area, but with a new companion-- a native of Buenos Aires. Within just two days of that change, Elder Gomez’ sister received her brother’s letter. She put it in her purse, thinking that as she worked in town she might see some Elders. On the way to work she spotted two missionaries. She mustered her courage to approach them and explained that she had a letter she needed them to translate. One of the Elders opened the letter and read it silently to himself. What he read made him smile:
“Hi Elder, I’m Elder Gomez and I’m serving as a missionary in the Arizona Mesa Mission. This person in front of you is my sister. She’s going through a hard time in her life. Her daughter passed away years ago and she would like to know if she will see her again. So if you can, please come by and teach her the Plan of Salvation. I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much, Have a great day”—Elder Gomez
The Elders made an appointment to come visit Natalia to discuss what her brother had written. Trevor and his companion taught her. As she listened to their message the Spirit was so strong it could not be denied. Natalia recognized something in Elder Larson that reminded her of her brother, so far away in America. When Trevor wrote home that week, he told us of Natalia and gave me the mandate to “Find Elder Gomez!” I wondered, “How am I supposed to do that?” The very next day, we received a phone call. The man on the other end said, “Sister Larson, you don’t know me, but I have an Elder Gomez at my house for dinner who would like to meet you”. He was only a mile away from our home. I jumped in the car and sped over. As soon as I met him, I felt I was talking with my son Trevor. We took a quick picture, he thanked me for raising my son, and left with his companion for an appointment. I knew then, that Elder Gomez was going to be the answer to Trevor’s prayers, just as Trevor had been the answer to his. I felt he needed to come and meet Jacob and take him on some missionary splits. This was in November of last year. I began praying that he would be transferred to our Stake.
Three months later, Trevor baptized Natalia. Her parents were able to travel to Cordoba to attend. Elder Gomez said “My sister was able to rely on and trust in Elder Larson because we had something in common. She said that he and I are very similar and that she felt like her ‘little brother’ was teaching her. Because of that, and because of his natural love for people, she trusted him. I’m grateful that our Heavenly Father placed at the right time and at the right place, the missionary that my sister needed to meet” Natalia wrote: “I know my Heavenly Father lives and that he hears my prayers. I know that the book of Mormon is true. It gave me the answers that I needed to know. I am grateful for Jesus Christ and for the Plan of Salvation. I look forward to going to the Temple someday and being sealed with my children here on earth and my daughter in heaven. Families can be together forever. I know it. I’m happy.” Shortly after the baptism, Elder Larson was transferred out of Cordoba.
Elder Gomez had been transferred too, but to Scottsdale! I decided to be patient and wait on the Lord. One day, a full nine months after this miracle began, we learned that Elder Gomez had been called to be the Zone Leader over our Stake, and would be able to do splits with Jacob at least once a month. This was just as our eldest son, Taylor, was getting married and starting Law school, leaving him less time to spend with our family. The Chaffee’s in our ward, had previously felt impressed to take in the Elders, and Elder Gomez and his companion moved into their home, only two blocks from ours. As soon as Jacob met him, he had an instant connection with him. Since then they have been able to teach together on several occasions. Elder Gomez has filled the empty gap that Jacob has felt since Trevor left. As Trevor was able to stand in for Elder Gomez at Natalia’s baptism, Elder Gomez stood in for Trevor when Jake was ordained an Elder and again when Jacob opened his mission call. These things would not have happened had he been transferred to our Stake back when I wanted him to be. The Lord’s timing was, as usual, perfect.
In 1 Cor 2:9 we read…”eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.” The tender mercies of the Lord are all around us. The amount of miracles that took place here and in Argentina, including the inspiration of two mission presidents, Bishops, the Chaffees, and the Elders themselves, all the way down to the single-dimpled smiles of these two missionaries, show that this was no coincidence. This was planned from the beginning. Elder Gomez said, “I know that I needed to come to Arizona from Argentina and that Elder Larson needed to go to Argentina from Arizona. God knows everything, but we need to exercise faith and do all that we can to expect and facilitate miracles.”
I’m grateful for this amazing young man, Elder Gomez, and his love for my son Jacob. They are truly ‘brothers from different mothers’! Because of these events, we will always feel a love and connection with him and his family in Argentina.
Elder Gomez had been transferred too, but to Scottsdale! I decided to be patient and wait on the Lord. One day, a full nine months after this miracle began, we learned that Elder Gomez had been called to be the Zone Leader over our Stake, and would be able to do splits with Jacob at least once a month. This was just as our eldest son, Taylor, was getting married and starting Law school, leaving him less time to spend with our family. The Chaffee’s in our ward, had previously felt impressed to take in the Elders, and Elder Gomez and his companion moved into their home, only two blocks from ours. As soon as Jacob met him, he had an instant connection with him. Since then they have been able to teach together on several occasions. Elder Gomez has filled the empty gap that Jacob has felt since Trevor left. As Trevor was able to stand in for Elder Gomez at Natalia’s baptism, Elder Gomez stood in for Trevor when Jake was ordained an Elder and again when Jacob opened his mission call. These things would not have happened had he been transferred to our Stake back when I wanted him to be. The Lord’s timing was, as usual, perfect.
In 1 Cor 2:9 we read…”eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.” The tender mercies of the Lord are all around us. The amount of miracles that took place here and in Argentina, including the inspiration of two mission presidents, Bishops, the Chaffees, and the Elders themselves, all the way down to the single-dimpled smiles of these two missionaries, show that this was no coincidence. This was planned from the beginning. Elder Gomez said, “I know that I needed to come to Arizona from Argentina and that Elder Larson needed to go to Argentina from Arizona. God knows everything, but we need to exercise faith and do all that we can to expect and facilitate miracles.”
I’m grateful for this amazing young man, Elder Gomez, and his love for my son Jacob. They are truly ‘brothers from different mothers’! Because of these events, we will always feel a love and connection with him and his family in Argentina.



No comments:
Post a Comment