
She was born in Oklahoma, and when she was still very young, her family moved to California ala Grapes of Wrath to look for work during the depression. The entire family worked in the fields. Gene told me once that when she was still very young, 7-8 years old, she could outpick her much-older big brothers.

This is one of my favorite pictures. This is Gene and Happy, her next older brother. I'm not sure what's up with Happy's one sock, but it always makes me smile. This was taken in Peoria, AZ in 1936. She says they were probably there picking cotton. While in Peoria, she got the only formal schooling she ever got, a few months of 3rd grade. She learned to read, though, and from that time on she read everything she could get her hands on. Neither of her parents ever learned to read, which makes her one of the first literate members of her family. She passed on her love of books to her kids and now their kids.

She says she was twelve years old when this picture was taken. It's easy to see where my favorite nieces got their good looks. If I was her Dad, I'd have been guarding her with a shotgun.

Apparently, he wasn't, though. At 14 years old, she married Dad, who then shipped off to WWII almost immediately.

They ended up with a big family, all of them lovely people, who I love. (I think Markie looks especially happy to be in this pic). My honey is the smiley cutie in the front on the far right.

Mom raised nine kids, who then produced 39 grandkids, who have so far produced about 70 great grandkids. All of them are among my favorite people in the world. I hear horror stories from people who have a hard time with their mother-in-laws, but I am very blessed to have the absolutely sweetest mom-in-law in the world. I love her and wish her the happiest birthday ever!
11 comments:
I've seen and loved all of those pictures. But that last one is adorable! Why are old people so cute?
Love it! That generation could do anything... nevermind the workin' in the fields action she did at 8yo, she had 9 kids and no epidurals. Wha?
And she had one of those in the car...I think it was Mary, but I'm not sure.
What a sweet post. Grandma Bailey is amazing. I love her so much! Can't wait to celebrate.
I love Grandma's life story. So interesting. I wonder what she's gonna do to celebrate. Something big I hope...
You do have the best mother in-law ever!!! It was my mom born in the car. I wish so bad I could be there for her birthday. Happy Birthday Grandma B!!!!
I love those pictures! She is so beautiful. I love the stories too. I didn't know she picked cotton in the field. I heard there is a book. I am going to get to it someday.
Sweet post. Thanks for the pictures--I stole them for my latest blog entry.
Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!
It was good to see you guys at the B-Day party. I'm glad you posted those great pictures of Grandma. I love them.
Fantastic post, Michele! It's great to have such a clever and talented sister in law!
Michelle, that is so nice, and you are also very sweet. I appreciate all you do for our family. The pictures are great, and so clear. I love the book you did for mom. It was wonderful!
Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas!
Love you sis,
Lynn
Post a Comment