Sunday, February 22, 2009

Stake Conference and a change....

We had a great broadcast Stake Conference (for all of Northern California, 65 stakes). We got to hear from Elder M Russell Ballard, Elder Floyd Wickham and Elder Uchtdorf. Elder Wickham gave a wonderful talk about how Zion is not a geographical place...at least not presently. Great talk for all the Californians who think they have to move to Utah to find Zion. (Those of us in know, know that Zion is actually in Arizona, anyway). He encouraged us to stay here and build up Zion here. I'm all for it. As long as we can stay employed, we'll be here. The Stake RS Presidency had a meeting with the Stake President the other night, and he was telling us how this economic downturn has helped several young families in his ward. They were employed, but never thought they'd be able to afford to buy homes here. Consequently, they were planning to move to another state. With property values going down and interest rates low, they were able to buy here and stay here. The young families are so important to keeping our stake going, and it's been so hard to keep them here. So, at least in our Stake, we are already reaping blessings from adversity.

The change came today, as they released us from our Stake callings. Our RS President had served in the Stake RS Presidency for eight years, it was time for her to be released. Dissolving any presidency is kind of bittersweet. On one hand, you feel a bit of relief when the responsibility is lifted. Not that you won't get another one shortly, but change is good sometimes. However, we have become so close that this is tough. We all live in different wards, and kind of far apart (our Stake covers a big geographic area). We say we'll still hang out and "play" together, but it's not going to be the same. I have learned so much from these wonderful ladies and I love them dearly. And, we had such great plans for this year! I told Sam that I wasn't ready to be released, but apparently, the Lord has other ideas. We all sat together today and cried. So on to the next thing, as President Jacobs would say. I'm still the Ward Organist, probably will be until I die, so I'm not totally without a calling.

Ok, we have friends coming over to eat food that we can't freeze any longer...the new fridge/freezer doesn't come until Thursday and I'm tired of buying dry ice. So, we're making a strange assortment of dishes and desserts with the last few things that I couldn't stuff downstairs or over at my moms. Off to baby-proof a bit for the masses...

6 comments:

ManicMandee said...

I know how you feel. I'm sure you'll recover soon--when you are realizing how nice the extra time is!

Memzy said...

So cool that we had the same stake conf. But I wasn't there cuz we are all sick at my house. Hooray for change in callings but that bittersweet thing can really hammer you.

Emily said...

We had S/C today too. Can understand how you must feel but just enjoy the little extra time you'll now have.

Hazel said...

I have had a "my freezer isn't working so come and get it" meal before...my favorite.

Anna B said...

I hope you can enjoy the short time I'm sure you will be without a calling.

E said...

Ah, change is always bittersweet. Just kick back and relax for awhile.